Did you know ...
More interesting facts on Portuguese India
- the Mattancherry Palace, known popularly as Dutch Palace, in Kochi, India, was built by the Portuguese and renovated by the Dutch?
- the Goa Liberation Movement, which sought freedom from Portuguese colonial rule, achieved its aim only when the India Army invaded Goa in 1961?
- the Portuguese destroyed Korlai Fort only 73 years after building it because they did not have enough men to guard the fort?
- Carlos Eugénio Correia da Silva, Count of Paço d'Arcos served as the governor of various colonies as far as India, Timor, Macao and Mozambique in the Portuguese Empire?
- Bernardo Peres da Silva, the only native Governor of Portuguese India in its 451-year history, was deposed after just seventeen days in office?
Include this on your site/blog: