Did you know ...
More interesting facts on Portrait
- William Larkin was identified as the Jacobean era portraitist formerly known as "The Curtain Master" by art historian Roy Strong?
- Sir Peter Lely, the most popular portrait artist in England in the mid 1600s, was born Pieter van der Faes, and is reputed to have adopted the surname "Lely" from a heraldic lily on the gable of the house of his father's birth?
- many female portraits by Jeremiah Theus share identical poses and costumes, down to the folds and shadows of the sitters' dresses?
- the Van de Passe family engraved portraits of important people in Jacobean England including the Gunpowder Plotters (pictured) and Pocahontas?
- the group portrait Banquet of the Amsterdam Civic Guard in Celebration of the Peace of Münster by Dutch painter Bartholomeus van der Helst (1613–1670) was considered by Sir Joshua Reynolds to be the finest he had seen?
- the earliest full-length portrait of Elizabeth I by Tudor court painter Steven van der Meulen, was auctioned by Sotheby's in 2007 for £2.6 million, more than twice its expected maximum?
- Sir John Luttrell, an English soldier and diplomat under Henry VIII and Edward VI, was the subject of an allegorical portrait (pictured) by Hans Eworth celebrating peace with France and Scotland?
- Jan Stanisławski, a Polish modernist painter, had his portrait (pictured) painted by another icon of Polish Modernism, Stanisław Wyspiański?
- Juan Luna’s Chula series is a succession of portrait paintings depicting the working class “street women” of Madrid, Spain?
- Juan Luna's La Bulaqueña painting is a serene portrait of a Filipino woman from Bulacan wearing a Maria Clara gown?
- landscape and portrait painter Herbert A. Collins (pictured) made several portraits of naturalist John Muir as well as paintings of the evolution of Yosemite Valley?
- Dutch mannerist painter Cornelis Ketel began to paint with his toes towards the end of a successful career as a portraitist, (example, right) in Elizabethan London and Amsterdam?
- Carl Frederik von Breda (pictured), a Swedish portraitist who trained with Joshua Reynolds, was unable to complete his two largest commissions due to a coup and lack of studio space?
- Robert Nanteuil's engraving of Pompone de Bellièvre (pictured) was described as "the most beautiful engraved portrait that exists"?
- 18th-century professional portrait painter Tilly Kettle was the first British painter to work in India?
Include this on your site/blog: