Did you know ...
More interesting facts on Pilgrimage
- the Monza ampullae are metal pilgrimage souvenirs from the Holy Land, dating to circa AD 600, and important in art history for their iconography?
- the Llibre Vermell de Montserrat is a manuscript of medieval music made in a Catalan monastery for pilgrims to sing?
- the first pilgrimage made by Christopher Columbus upon discovering America was to the Royal monastery of Santa Maria de Guadalupe, the principal house of the monastic order of the Hieronymites?
- tempest-tossed aboard the Niña (replica pictured) while returning from his first voyage, Christopher Columbus and his crew vowed to perform several vigils and pilgrimages should they live?
- roughly a million people participate each year in the Romería de El Rocío, a pilgrimage to the Hermitage of El Rocío, in honor of the Virgin of El Rocío (pictured)?
- Subramanian Swamy worked towards normalizing Sino-Indian relations and persuaded Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping to open the Kailash Mansarovar in Tibet to Hindu pilgrims from India?
- on Reek Sunday, in a tradition of the past 1,500 years, thousands of people from across the world have embarked on an annual national pilgrimage up Croagh Patrick, some barefoot?
- Flaithbertach Ua Néill, king of Ailech in Ireland, was called Flaithbertach an Trostáin, Flaithbertach of the Pilgrim's staff, as a result of his pilgrimage to Rome in 1030?
Include this on your site/blog: