Did you know ...
More interesting facts on Ontario
- the Chapleau Crown Game Preserve in northern Ontario, Canada is the largest game preserve in the world?
- the Hockley Valley Provincial Nature Reserve in the Canadian province of Ontario supports a population of the nationally endangered Butternut?
- the Trumpeter Swans introduced into the Wye Marsh in the 1980s were the first seen in Ontario since 1884?
- the New York Central's engines 1290 and 1291 operated for more than 55 years on a single 62-mile (100 km) branch line in southwestern Ontario?
- the Hudson's Bay Company's Joseph Adams oversaw the creation of a trading post from which Ontario's first English settlement originated?
- the Lake Superior National Marine Conservation Area in Ontario will be the largest freshwater marine protected area in the world?
- the Ottawa-Bonnechere Graben across Ontario from Montreal to Lake Nipissing, a depression formed by ancient faults, is a failed arm of the ancestor of the Atlantic Ocean?
- the graves of 13 Britons and a Jamaican trained at Royal Canadian Air Force Station Mount Hope during World War II, are still maintained in a local churchyard in Glanbrook, Ontario?
- the geologic features located within the Eramosa Karst are considered to be the best example of karst topography found in the Canadian province of Ontario?
- the Tutelo language, once spoken by Virginia Indians, was recorded by scholars in the late 19th century, who found speakers on a reserve in Ontario?
- the Permanent North American Gaeltacht (pictured) is an officially designated Irish speaking area in English/French speaking Ontario, Canada, the first of its kind outside of Ireland?
- the Canadian province of Ontario has had quality grades for cultivated Christmas trees (tree farm pictured) mandated by law since 1965?
- over 70,000 Dark-eyed Juncos have been counted in a single day at the Bird Observatory in Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada?
- Ontario-based musical group Family Brown has received eighteen Canadian Country Music Association awards, more than any other artist in the association's history?
- David Lewis and his son Stephen Lewis served simultaneously as the leaders of the Canadian and Ontario New Democratic Party?
- Ontario's Film Classification Act, 2005 not only governs motion picture ratings, but also legally enforces ESRB's video game ratings?
- Ontario politician Jan Dukszta, a psychiatrist by training, took time out of his 1981 re-election campaign to treat colleague Tony Lupusella who was suffering a nervous breakdown?
- Ontario has more universities, with 22, than any other Canadian province?
- Joseph Yuill and his wife Margaret operated Ontario's first travelling dairy?
- Gazell Macy DuBois designed the Ontario pavilion at Expo 67 (pictured) which looked like "a mess of paper triangles or mentally disarranged envelopes"?
- of the 81 Canadian casualties during Hurricane Hazel, 35 lived on Raymore Drive in Weston, Toronto, Ontario?
- member of the Order of Canada Carlo Cattarello received his Bachelor of Arts degree from Laurentian University in Sudbury, Ontario, after he turned 80?
- doubt exists about exactly where in Ontario at least two of the three known specimens of the extinct epiphytic moss Neomacounia nitida were collected in the 1860s?
- although the Coronation grape has been described as having "an odd, off taste", it is the most-planted seedless table grape variety in southern Ontario?
- Black Panther Party co-founder Huey Newton said the Brampton Jail in Brampton, Ontario was "worse than any jail in Cuba"?
Include this on your site/blog: