Did you know ...
More interesting facts on Castle
- the English village of Gresham, Norfolk, once had a 14th-century castle with four round towers and a moat, now ruined and overgrown by trees?
- listed buildings in Peckforton, Cheshire, include a carved stone elephant bearing a replica of a medieval castle (pictured)?
- in the 1936 Siege of the Alcázar, around 1000 Spanish Nationalists in Toledo held a medieval castle for two months despite aerial and artillery bombardments and a sustained assault by 8000 Republican troops?
- the Spanish shepherd Diego Marín Aguilera attempted flight in a manned glider on May 15, 1793 after jumping from a castle at Coruña del Conde?
- the Swiss castle Ruine Wulp was at one point torn apart and replaced with a single tower and building?
- the only remnants of Mecklenburg Castle, a medieval castle located in present-day Germany, are parts of an earthen wall (pictured)?
- the Konopiště château (castle), the last residence of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria, houses a large collection of antlers?
- during the War of the Spanish Succession, 10,000 French soldiers attempted to take Schloss Hellenstein (pictured), a castle near Heidenheim in the Swabian Alb, but retreated without firing a shot because it was deemed too costly to attack?
- Alix, the wife of Viscount of Rochechouart Aymeric VI, was imprisoned in Château de Rochechouart castle with a lion, but the animal did not hurt her and laid down at her feet?
- Burg Pfalzgrafenstein, a castle in the Rhine that Victor Hugo described as a “ship of stone”, also used its well as a dungeon?
- Aberdour Castle (pictured), with parts dating from around 1200, is one of the two oldest datable standing castles in Scotland?
- Eketorp is an Iron Age ringfort on the island of Öland, Sweden that was mysteriously abandoned for three centuries and rebuilt as a Medieval castle?
- Fort Senneville, built in 1671 near Montreal, included the most fortified windmill in New France, along with a machicolation and other castle-like features?
- Saga Castle is one of the few medieval castles in Japan to be surrounded by a wall, instead of being built on one?
- Royal Castle in Poznań was once the largest castle in the Polish Kingdom?
- King Richard I of England was killed while beseiging the small castle of Château de Chalus-Chabrol, which was under the control of Aimar V of Limoges?
Include this on your site/blog: